Todd,
I used Barnes for high quality and PSI for quick service.
Scott H

    On Monday, April 12, 2021, 1:24:35 PM CDT, Todd Zuercher
<to...@pgrahamdunn.com> wrote:

 Those here who have had to deal with a worn out ball screw.  How is this
normally manifested.  I have a machine that is only showing backlash under
load.  Is that normally how a worn out screw shows it's age?  I was expecting
it to be normal loose backlash that you can measure.  But this is showing up as
springy softness that you have to give a pretty hard shove against to move the
dial indicator, then it snaps back to zero when you let go.  Using the usual
jogging methods to read backlash, the machine reads zero backlash and positions
well.  But dynamically it is awful, with loud clucking noises on direction
changes and horribly wavy marks left on the pieces milled at those changes.
Giving a shove on the table, I can measure more than +/-0.01" of this
"springy" backlash, but moving the screw to a normally unused position I can
only measure about 0.001".  This is a big fixed screw (about 2" diameter and
more than 14ft long) with rotating nut, is there any hope of fixing it?  I'm
considering trying to send the screw out to one of those screw refurbishing
places.  The machine manufacturer quoted us over $18,000 to replace it.

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.<http://www.pgrahamdunn.com/index.php>
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618