From: Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 12:15 PM
To: Thomas J Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com>; Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
<emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Worn Ball Screw?

[EXTERNAL EMAIL] Be sure links are safe.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 8:54 AM Thomas J Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few of the larger EDMs we built had 5meter leadscrews with dbl nuts,

That would fix the issue too.   They use two nuts with a spring between
them.  It is really the same concept as oversized balls.  In both cases, the
balls ride on the walls of the groove rather than the groove's bottom.

Some day 100 years from now the ball screw on my mill z-axis might become worn
but the screw is always in tension as it supports the weight of the milling
head and motor so the balls ride on only the lower side of the groove and it
will not matter much if the balls or groove is worn down over
the years.   My 3D printer works the same way but with acme lead screws,
only one side of the screw thread Is used, so there is never backlash when the
direction of motion reverses.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California