From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Sent: April 30, 2021 10:45 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Maybe a minimally printed harmonic drive?

On Monday 22 March 2021 09:19:19 Sam Sokolik wrote:

> 202,200 for the outside spline and the flex gear is 200.  In this
> situation - the 202 tooth spline is stationary to the stepper.  The
> 200 tooth outside spline is mounted to the faceplate.  In this layout
> - the ratio apears to be 101:1
>
> In this situation the stepper motor and the face plate spin the same
> direction.
>
> With the same set of outside spines swapped - the ratio is 100:1
>
> I am sure Andy can explain it.  It doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Happy with runout...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLyP2YwdstQ
>
> sam
I am running some behind you Sam, with my project, having printer problems
kills time and money. Finally settled on an ender 5 Plus, which is working
passably well but I've wasted $3k getting there.

Any way, I changed the design some from yours, to a 30/1 because those big
spines print better, and by making my own bearings in openscad, useing
crosman bb's for balls. I put a huge one with over 150 loose bb's directly
on the outside of the moving spline, with only the lip of the output
coupling disc (printed of course) interposed. And the floating spline has 3
more of those, sized for a good friction fit inside that spline, with both
the spline and the bearings made as thin as practical to improve the flex
life, and I just took the eliptical armature off the build plate and wiggled
in into those 3 bearings inside the loose spline, so thats the driver
armature, no commercial ball bearings anyplace like yours.  I've made the
8mm hole in the plastic for the motor shaft into a prominent D-flat, and
used a cbn wheel to make the flat much wider on the motor shaft, and this
armature will be driven onto the motor shaft without any grub screws at all.
No clue how long it will run before it bores that hole out and I have to
make an alu inner for it. :(

But I just now assembled it without the motor, turning the armature by hand,
and it works, with no detectable backlash. And it turns the armature easy
enough the 3NM 3 phase motor (those are magic folks, running 50C cooler than
2 phase stuff) I'll use will not be a bit overstressed.  Those bb's will
pound the plastic smooth and get smoother with use.

So now its time to finish the output shaft, and make the rest of the
housing. Which will be supported by the big bearing at the spline end, and 4
of the printed bearings at the load end. I've got the motor end gnawed out
of some 1" stock I had, and I bought a foot of 3.125" thick by 6" wide stuff
so I can make 2 output housings. That showed me the current price for
extruded alu, scary. I also bought enough rod to make about 4 output shafts,
over $200. And I've a spare 4" chuck from a TLM upgrade to a 5" to use on
it. Or better yet, buy another 5" from LMS.
So I'll get there, if I don't fall over first. At my age, thats always a
possibility.

I'll try to get some pix of what I've got so far, put up on my web page over
the weekend. Along with some of the openscad source files.

As usual, this stuff keeps me alone, safe, and out of the bars. :-)

 - Louis D. Brandeis