The below is exactly true.  The problem is that PID is widely used and PID
is only "reactive" it can only deal with what has already happened and the
time lag is the source of oscillations.    In the past, PID was the only
control option because we had limited computing power.   People are
starting to use MPC for motion control now.  MPC is predictive and can
account for "spring back", backlash and the time it will take to
decelerate.   But it does require modern compute power.   If you google,
you find many papers on MPC applied to milling machines starting in about
2010.

Eventually, this will filter down to the open-source DIY hobby community.
If you have ever seen a machine running with this kind of controller it is
visible even just looking at it by eye, the machine looks "alive" and moves
more like a human or a dog rather than a robot.   It is hard to describe
but it comes from "knowing" what is about to happen and taking the future
half-second or so into account.    The control will take action to prevent
oscillation or spring because it is predictive, not reactive.      This is
in use now for some years, it's not speculative.

The problem is the complexity.  It requires some advanced math and the
computer has to be able to run thousands or likely millions of simulations
of the entire machine per second.   This is maybe why we don't see
research on this done in the 1990s or 2000s.   It is a good use for a
6-core Intel i9 CPU

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California