The length of the handle is purposely short as most people will use way too
much torque to tighten the lock nut. Exceeding the chuck manufacturer's
torque specification will not help in the holding capability and will
result in less accuracy of the resulting assembly. Over torquing the
assembly will begin to damage the components. The interface between the nut
and the collet will usually show damage first.
Just my 2 cents
Stuart

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 6:20 AM Roland Jollivet <roland.jolli...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 at 10:50, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So my Collet chuck arrived a week or so ago.  Today the ER-32 collet set
> > arrived.  I no longer have an excuse for not completing my 4th axis
> driven
> > by a real harmonic drive.  (Well it is raining and can't cast).  So I
> have
> > drawn up the face plate adaptor and that looks to be a pretty easy LCNC
> > project for the mill plus a bit of lathe work.
> >
> > However, I foolishly did not order a collet wrench.  This seems to
> overall
> > be a pretty easy CNC project with the exception of the 'teeth' that
> engage
> > the collet.  I suppose I could mill out the profiles in some oil
> hardening
> > steel, then file the teeth to have straight edges.  Finally harden it.
> >
> > Alternatively make it out of 1/4" or so steel plate (or even aluminium)
> > and drill and tap holes for screws to protrude out where the teeth are.
> > Turn down the screw ends to be smooth or even square and lock the screws
> in
> > place.
> >
> > Looking for suggestions here.  Don't really want to wait 2 months for one
> > wrench with either low price and horrendous shipping or high price and
> low
> > shipping.  Cost ends up being the same at about $28.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >

> I would suggest getting a handle laser cut.
>
> If you mill it, or laser cut, put a recess at the internal corners so that
> there is no finishing required. See exaggerated picture
>
> Either way, make the handle double ended so you have greater control when
> using it. Single handled tools are more likely to slip.
> (can only be used when OD of cutter is less than nut, unless it's and open
> type)
>
> https://www.turnersupply.com/Product/129502242
>

> https://www.ubuy.co.id/en/product/168WB1FKG-er40-wrench-cnc-collet-chuck-er-um-nut-spanner
>
> Roland

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read
this email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or
reading, and cease and desist from saving or opening my private
correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.