On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 3:47:37 AM EST John Dammeyer wrote:
> So my Collet chuck arrived a week or so ago.  Today the ER-32 collet
> set arrived.  I no longer have an excuse for not completing my 4th
> axis driven by a real harmonic drive.  (Well it is raining and can't
> cast).  So I have drawn up the face plate adaptor and that looks to be
> a pretty easy LCNC project for the mill plus a bit of lathe work.
>
> However, I foolishly did not order a collet wrench.  This seems to
> overall be a pretty easy CNC project with the exception of the 'teeth'
> that engage the collet.  I suppose I could mill out the profiles in
> some oil hardening steel, then file the teeth to have straight edges.
> Finally harden it.
>
> Alternatively make it out of 1/4" or so steel plate (or even aluminium)
> and drill and tap holes for screws to protrude out where the teeth
> are.  Turn down the screw ends to be smooth or even square and lock
> the screws in place.

I don't see any good reason that wouldn't work.

> Looking for suggestions here.  Don't really want to wait 2 months for
> one wrench with either low price and horrendous shipping or high price
> and low shipping.  Cost ends up being the same at about $28.
>
> Thanks,
> John

I'd think, at 3/8" thick, designed in openscad, printed in PETG, might
get you by until a good real one arrives.

I'm late to this party, my e-mail server was one that got attacked last
wed morning at 3AM, and is just now coming back to life.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis