Well, I wanted to give an update.  I finally ran some production parts on my retrofitted R2E3.

I had some issues with the spindle VFD causing communication errors between the PC and my PPMC boards, and fixed that by running a ground wire between the PC and the PPMC card cage. Then, I had an issue with the spindle encoder not producing the index pulse.  It turns out the centering of the encoder body to the shaft is very critical.  I bored out the mounting holes about .003" bigger and found the sweet spot for it.  And, I rigid tapped 216 holes with a combo drill-tap at 1000 RPM!  I'm still collecting enough Kwik Switch 200 tooling to be fully set up.

Jon