On Wed, 2 Nov 2022 at 12:34, Todd Zuercher <to...@pgrahamdunn.com> wrote:

> I've heard you mention many times that your mill's column is out of square
> with the machine.  Have you considered that it could be in fact the table
> that is out of square with the column

If the surface of a parallel flat on the table does not vary in height
under an indicator held in the spindle as you move X and Y (but not Z) then
you can assume the table top surface to be parallel with the X and Y ways.
You can indicate a square the same way to check that X and Y are
perpendicular to each other.

As well as the column travel being orthogonal to the X and Y there is also
the issue to test of the spindle axis being parallel to the Z travel.
That's not guaranteed either. (And if there is a quill then there is
guarantee that that travels parallel to the other two...)

Spindle perpendicularity to the table can be checked with your cylindrical
square by indicating around the cylinder with the indicator at two
different extensions from the spindle nose, while not moving anything else.

Then, as you propose, you can indicate the square as the column travels up
and down (using an indicator mounted to the head, you don't need the
spindle at this point, which will help to get more vertical travel between
measurments.)

--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed