On 11/2/22 08:33, Todd Zuercher wrote:
Gene,

I've heard you mention many times that your mill's column is out of square with
the machine.  Have you considered that it could be in fact the table that is
out of square with the column, and tried to shimming it to square it to the
column?  (Would require a lot of fiddly work with the gibs.)

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618
Phone:  (330)828-2105ext. 2031
I finally got around to checking  it with the circular square last night and found it wasn't as bad as suspected.  6 thou in 100mm of z on X and 4 thou on the y, But trammed, its still visibly bending a tap. Maybe its twisting from the torque? That seems like a stretch to me but the performance still sucks. Tramming it is not easily done, but thats the symptoms.  So next I chuck a rod, and measure x and y as the rod moves up and down. Since I'm waiting on printer mod stuff, maybe I'll get to that today. And it looks like I may have drive problems in this machine,
smartctl tests underway now. I may have to up the anti on Murphy, DOA. ;o)>

Thanbks Todd, take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis