Just did that.

I had earlier tried to move to bullseye - but a glade problem got in my way -

So just 2 days ago - I first upgraded from buster to bullseye - then bullseye to bookworm - installed linuxcnc from the debian repository.

Good overview of upgrade at
https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

Tells you how to clean out cruft before hand.

Only had a couple of minor problems - I had to reinstall a customized component - and fix a hal line that it didn't used to complain about. There was a missing '(' in the old copy of hitcounter.py

What really made me smile is gladvcp just worked!
   I run under kde - so I disabled the search indexing engine and other fluff.

You can run htop - before the desktop starts - go over all the tasks that you
probably don't want.

You can disable tasks with systemctl disable task-name

# cat /sys/module/apparmor/parameters/enabled   Should return N if you get it
disabled -

You will want to disable apparmor.
You need to set a kernel paramater..  My line looked like this (a four core
machine)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet text isolcpus=2,3 apparmor=0"

isolcpus makes a difference as well.

This is with three copies of glxgears running:
https://lrak.net/secret/pictures/2023/2023/2023-07-08_11-27-14_png.jpeg.html

Of course, latency is not so important is you are doing counting in hardware
(think Messa)..

See
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc/48512-the-case-for-debian-bookworm-and-the-6-1-kernel-including-installation-notes