@Todd -

Not likely a Debian problem - I would have to see his /etc/apt/sources.list to
know what is going on.

To upgrade you also need something like this in
/etc/apt.conf.d/local

APT::Default-Release "/^bookworm(|-security|-updates)$/";

He says this is on an old MacBook (A1278) - that is supposed to be a core-i5 -
thus amd64.

I don't think the 'Raspberry Pi Desktop' is part of Debian - so his
sources.list is probably wacked.

Other things to look at:
# cat /etc/issue
# uname -a

From a normal Debian system with these lines in sources.list:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ bookworm  main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main contrib non-free
non-free-firmware
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main contrib
non-free non-free-firmware
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main contrib non-free
non-free-firmware

# wajig listall linuxcnc
linuxcnc-doc-de           motion controller for CNC machines and robots (German
documentation)
linuxcnc-doc-en           motion controller for CNC machines and robots
(English documentation)
linuxcnc-doc-es           controlador de movimiento para máquinas CNC y robots
(Español).
linuxcnc-doc-fr           motion controller for CNC machines and robots (French
documentation)
linuxcnc-doc-zh-cn        motion controller for CNC machines and robots (Chinese
linuxcnc-uspace           motion controller for CNC machines and robots
linuxcnc-uspace-dev       PC based motion controller for real-time Linux

The only drawback to running a pure Debian system is it 'tends to be VERY conservative' - so the big advantage of running pure Debian is it 'tends to be VERY conservative' - something I want for running machine-control or public facing systems.

I really want to praise the guys that did all the heavy lifting to get linuxcnc into Debian - not a small task - (the software has to survive all sorts of probes by the "Lintian" a comprehensive package checker - Debian Policy violations and violations of various sub-policies, best practices, common mistakes, and problems that maintainers like to catch before uploads. )

I'm sure the code will be picked up by the manny distributions that feed off of Debian. The more eyes on the code - the more users - the more polished it becomes.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail k...@lrak.net
3209 West 9th Street                          Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049

Data mining fools the miner first.
Bayesian thinking is not a human trait.
--kps