Hi Ian

Maybe I'm a little old, but 10 to 15 years seems, in terms of human thought,
extremely recent. I have read some OOO texts though, during that short period
of time. I've also had a little time to digest Kosuth's work, since it was made
forty odd years ago. In retrospect his chairs might seem a simplistic reading
of semiotics but I'd argue there is more to them than that. They're not just
about signs and signifiers but also mediality, sociality and the performative.
In the 1960's not many artists were addressing those issues.

I'm not sure what you are trying to suggest about popularity, or the value of a
lack of it. Seems to me that OOO is popular - even fashionable, like the new
aesthetic. I can also see links in OOO to Latour, although more so to
Heidegger. Perhaps it is a non-phenomenologist's take on Heidegger? Whatever,
it isn't fuzzy. Are things that simple? Can we assume there is some kind of
residual and irreducible thinginess in things? A toaster can be an octopus -
and whatever it might be, from moment to moment, it is rarely a toaster.

best

Simon

Simon Biggs
si...@littlepig.org.uk http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype: