Hi Zhou,

The first step is to figure out what the actual problem is.

Ask yourself: Is there indeed a problem with transferring the “long” public
keys (of the client, as you state below)?

For the cases where I have seen EAP used so far I have not heard about these
problems. I have, however, heard about problems with the many roundtrips of EAP
methods and the usage of RADIUS. This was partially the motivation for the work
on RADIUS over TCP (and TLS).

There is, however, work ongoing to make use of EAP in environments with
different radio interfaces (like IEEE 802.15.4 and alike) and, as you know,
there you can find additional challenges. However, for those cases folks had
been looking into different solutions that are more likely to find deployment
(assuming that EAP is a suitable technology for whatever use cases people have
in mind there). Today, as you may know the deployments are actually quite
simplicity from a security point of view.

Just to remind you about the last smart object security workshop various folks
had been looking into the usage of TLS-PSK and high-quality pre-shared secret
cipher suites are available as EAP methods as well. (I had once worked with
Thomas Otto on a EAP-TLS-PSK method, see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-otto-emu-eap-tls-psk-02).

Regarding the revocation issue: If the client’s credentials get revoked then he
must not be able to successfully authenticate to the AAA server anymore. Done.
I don’t see how this can get any easier regardless of the authentication
protocol.

Ciao

Hannes