Hi Bob,

Linux Mint Debian Edition (and the other editions) is a "frankendebian" nominally based on Debian testing. Here is some information about it: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian. There has been plenty of deserved criticism of the Linux Mint developers for their sloppy practices at the expense of users. It causes instability and the Mint developers have to hold back crucial security updates and the like; these attitudes do not look like they are going to change any time soon. I would recommend switching to regular Debian, which includes Cinnamon, and stable is well tested. You could also switch to Ubuntu LTS, which works well too (although it has issues I'm not going to go into here) or Fedora. LMDE is not production ready (and neither are the other editions of Linux Mint), even if it looks pretty.

Another explanation is due to some strange behaviour due to the current state of Debian testing, or at least the snapshot that LMDE is based on at the moment. The error is likely reasonably accurate - Debian is currently migrating to gpg 2.x from 1.4. They have put testing on freeze right now though so they can start working towards Debian stable now, so this explanation is less likely than the above. I'm not familiar enough with LMDE, it should be noted, however.

Another explanation might be due to gpg-agent not playing well with Gnome. There are known issues with this; basically Gnome's own crypto agent conflicts with GnuPG's agent. I'm not sure to what extent Cinnamon (I assume that is the desktop environment you are using) has problems with gpg-agent, but Cinnamon does use Gnome programs and frameworks to a great extent, so this is a possibility.

Regards,