On 22/11/2016 11:40 am, Mike Acker wrote:
> > > On 11/22/2016 06:00 AM, enigmail-users-requ...@enigmail.net wrote:
>> LMDE is not production ready (and neither are the other editions >>
of Linux Mint), even if it looks pretty. > > > I disagree with these
remarks.  I'm using LMDE/2 (Betsy) today -- and > have been using it
since it cleared Beta.   Of the MINT varieties I > get the best results
from the LMDE/2

Quite. It runs considerably faster than Debian Stable, has more
facilities, and is generally much *more* fit for purpose - Debian Stable
is so old-fashioned it's not true. Even with the problems it has the
Mint version (I use the Mate version) it is much better.

> > I have MINT 18 Cinamon as well as MINT 18 KDE installed on my test >
box; both have trouble with some applications > > as far as GPG/2 goes
-- just check your system at command line using >  GPG2 --version.   if
it's not installed just do an apt/get and > install it.   T-Bird shoud
pick it up automatically

Mine shows gpg2 present, and enigmail finds it automatically. I'm not
very technical - but it does point to /usr/bin/gpg2 which is a library
(?) not an executable - the nearby exectutable is gpg (1.x) - but
Enigmail refuses to talk to that at all.

> > as far as T-Bird goes I've had trouble with the GPG interface "off >
and on".    IMHO I suspect it's because "AFAIK" T-Bird does not use >
the GPGME interface. > > I've been experimenting with both CLAWS e/mail
as well as Evolution. > For Linux users it might be best to get away
from T-Bird -- although > the T-Bird that I have now -- 45.5.0 -- works
fine with LMDE/2 and > GPG/2

I didn't have a problem with Thunderbird/Enigmail and LDME until a
recent LMDE re-installation and update - so I was hoping someone would
be able tell me what has changed. I used to get an  gpg agent error
message on first use - but before it just carried on and worked anyway.