On 19/03/18 15:26, Cedric Bail wrote:
> On March 17, 2018 2:29 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
> <wlt...@obsidian-studios.com> wrote:
>> I see EFL has a CMakeLists.txt in git. I am curious as to the current
>> state of that. It seems like it is for past versions, 1.18.99.57967.
>> Also does not allow build from git.
>>
>> Background
>>
>> I was looking at updating autotools build for elogind rather than
>> systemd. Since systemd is required for Wayland. Pretty sure all it
>> needs is provided by elogind. Systemd is pretty integrated into
>> autotools and not that familiar with configure.ac. Plus it takes
>> considerable time to regenerate configure, and run that, etc.
>>
>> I believe cmake would be faster there than autotools. Now I know Meson
>> is the craze. But I actually some what prefer cmake to meson. CMake can
>> use both autotools or ninja as a generator. Thus cmake + ninja, is
>> basically just as fast as meson + ninja. I like some aspects of cmake
>> better, auto-updates po files when locations change. Though dates can
>> be annoying. Also cpack can easily generate deb and rpm files with
>> little effort and almost nothing to maintain.
>
> The CMake build never reached maturity and no further attempt to improve it
> is planned. I am actually thinking of removing the build support from the
> tree (Not the installed cmake helper to link against EFL) for next release.
> Meson is our most likely path forward for a replacement of our autotools use.
> It will likely be one release with both meson and autotools followed by the
> complete drop of the autotools support in the next release. No schedule at
> this point on when this will happen, but hopefully sometime this year.
>
> Cedric

Not using cmake to build efl, will not mean you cant use cmake for
building elogind the cmake macro's will continue to be shipped, they are
hand written and not generated as part of the build (mostly) you
currently get them installed when building with autotools.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30