On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:55:59 +1030
Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> wrote:

> On 19/03/18 15:26, Cedric Bail wrote:
> > On March 17, 2018 2:29 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
> > <wlt...@obsidian-studios.com> wrote:
> >> I see EFL has a CMakeLists.txt in git. I am curious as to the
> >> current state of that. It seems like it is for past versions,
> >> 1.18.99.57967. Also does not allow build from git.
> >>
> >> Background
> >>
> >> I was looking at updating autotools build for elogind rather than
> >> systemd. Since systemd is required for Wayland. Pretty sure all it
> >> needs is provided by elogind. Systemd is pretty integrated into
> >> autotools and not that familiar with configure.ac. Plus it takes
> >> considerable time to regenerate configure, and run that, etc.
> >>
> >> I believe cmake would be faster there than autotools. Now I know
> >> Meson is the craze. But I actually some what prefer cmake to
> >> meson. CMake can use both autotools or ninja as a generator. Thus
> >> cmake + ninja, is basically just as fast as meson + ninja. I like
> >> some aspects of cmake better, auto-updates po files when locations
> >> change. Though dates can be annoying. Also cpack can easily
> >> generate deb and rpm files with little effort and almost nothing
> >> to maintain.
> >
> > The CMake build never reached maturity and no further attempt to
> > improve it is planned. I am actually thinking of removing the build
> > support from the tree (Not the installed cmake helper to link
> > against EFL) for next release. Meson is our most likely path
> > forward for a replacement of our autotools use. It will likely be
> > one release with both meson and autotools followed by the complete
> > drop of the autotools support in the next release. No schedule at
> > this point on when this will happen, but hopefully sometime this
> > year.
> >
> > Cedric
> >
> Not using cmake to build efl, will not mean you cant use cmake for
> building elogind the cmake macro's will continue to be shipped, they
> are hand written and not generated as part of the build (mostly) you
> currently get them installed when building with autotools.

That is even messier. Removing cmake build system, but leaving cmake
artifacts for others using cmake to build stuff against EFL. If you
have any cmake stuff, why not use it for building EFL?

Sounds like even with meson, some bits of cmake will remain in EFL. I
do not get the benefit of meson when it will help with maintaining the
cmake stuff. IMHO would be cleaner to have 1 build system that covers
it all. Rather than bits for 3rd parties and another for building EFL.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.