On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 11:41:29 +0200 Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org>
said:

> On 24.07.2018 11:19, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 09:28:05 +0200 Stefan Schmidt
> > <ste...@datenfreihafen.org> said:

> >> If we have one osx system for CI builds and another one for debugging
> >> problems on OSX I easily see how they could be very different in terms
> >> of OSX versions, libraries, homebrew installs, etc.
> >
> > that's massively better than only a CI system and no way to interactively
> > debug things like copy & paste (ask netstar - he has a mac box to do that
> > now). this isn't perfection, but it never will be. :) it's better than
> > nothing as right now the CI systems do not allow dbeugging like i
> > described. just builds. right?
>
> Just builds. I don't expect a CI system to be a debugging system. To me
> these are two very different things to do. The TravisCI setup for OSX
> already proved itself very useful by finding build breaks on code
> committed into master.
>
> You fancy a full blown OSX system with remote VNC access for manually
> compiling and debugging. That is fair and could be nice to have. Just
> nothing on my list to work on. If you and Jonathan want to work on
> setting this all up, just go ahead.

Indeed when eagleye mailed this, this was my first thought as it would need
nothing more than:

1. some kind of vnc setup
2. some kind of ssh access with accounts
3. some kind of sudo-like access

then at least when things really need some work, people can  ssh in, use vnc
and develop/test without having to buy a mac themselves. it sure as hell isn't
as nice as a local machine, but ... it is a big step up from just CI/test
suites. :)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com