> About your second point, The gl-engine can render to a texture or a
> pbuffer, there is no problem with this, as long as it doesn't swap
> the buffers. But as raster said, it is not possible if we want to
> get good performances with OpenGL, rendering to a texture is slow
> as hell (don't know muck about pbuffers). And actually, it doesn't
> solve the current problem at all (buffers will still have to be
> swapped somewhere)

        I don't think 'rendering to a texture', as evas would do it,
would involve swapping the front/back buffers. As to the performance
issue.. This seems to depend on exactly the kind of support that the
gl version/drivers have for that. It can be done with bare-bones gl
using glCopyTexImage, or with various kinds of later support for
'rtt' functionality -- and as far as I've been able to quickly gather,
anything that supports the gl shading language (now used in evas for
yuv conversion), will support fast rtt methods, even the basic
glCopyTexImage method is 'supposedly' quite fast.

        I don't know Simon.. want you want is certainly 'seductive'
in its own way - it does have a lot of good aspects -- but I wonder
if it's maybe just more gl-convenient than really necessary.

   jose.