> >     Here, the "void *engine_data" holds any engine specific
> > stuff, eg. for the xrender based engines this would be similar to
> > the current XRImage structure (minus certain things).
>
> actually - this is a problem. you need to be able to have MULTIPLE
> engine share the same cached image - you need multiple engine_data's
> - thus why i wrapped the other way around. you need to support a
> software_x11, xrender_x11, gl_x11 et. engine all at once (currently

        It allows exactly for that. The underlying loaded, shared
argb32 image is the RGBA_Image they all have a pointer to, and that
is indexed in a 'common' hash. Something like the 'Evas_Image' struct
I mentioned works like a generic 'wrapper', but it wraps both the
RGBA_Image structure and any engine-specific added parts. It's indexed
in a 'higher' cache system, specific to the engine type. The issue
is then one of suitable ref-counting in both the engine cache and
the common hash.

> >     In any case, this would be one way - as far as basic image
> > caching goes. More complex caching stuff, as you mention you'd like,
> > is something more involved and possibly more flexible in how it
> > could be realized.
>
> if we are going to revisit caching significantly - i'd really like
> to look at a shared cache - ewl and etk would love it as right now
> each process needs to load its own fonts, images etc. and so
> N processes loading the same data do it N times.

        Agreed - in principle. But as I mentioned back when we first
started mumbling about this - when you started talking multi-process
shared caching... you lost me. :)

   jose.