On Tue, 1 May 2007 02:53:52 GMT "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

>       Simon wrote:
>
> > Actually, what I really want is a GL engine that is not aware
> > of the rendering-target, i.e. an engine that can render
> > indifferently to the backbuffer, to the fronbuffer, to a texture,
> > to a pbuffer... and independently of the windowing system used.
> > Here would be the different schemes to do these things with this
> > generic GL engine:

the nature of engines is that they do need to know about thier target - does it
have alpha or not, what is its format, size etc. and they also assume state
knowledge - i.e. what the previous and current states are as evas itself works
on that principle. as jose states below - you want a "render to texture" gl
engine (fbo). otherwise very similar to the gl_x11 enigne but target is a
texture. it can share all the same core as the gl_x11 as they use gl_common.

i actually would like to move the normal gl engine to render to fbo's instead
of the gl backbuffer then draw these dfbo textures directly to the frontbuffer
(screen) thus avoiding any need for a backbuffer at all. this will make the gl
enigne work much more closely to the software engines and begin to make it a
possibility for things that it currently is very bad at. (doing menus, window
frames etc. with a gl engine is pointless. it is only really good at big
windows with no shape etc.)

>       I'm not certain wether or not you'll be able to do this,
> in that kind of generality, with respect to the windowing system.
>
>       However, starting with OpenGL 1.5 there is available
> the "framebuffer object" extension which seems to allow for much
> of this. Here's a link to the spec:
>
> http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/EXT/framebuffer_object.txt
>
>       Maybe you could use this approach to construct a fairly
> generic gl engine, and presumably support fast 'render-to-texture'
> functionality.
>
>    jose.

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)