Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:09:14 +0000

>If folk are wanting better revision control and client-side diffing
>etc. then SVN is a much wiser choice - not because it is better than
>GIT, but because it looks the same to CVS users, requires absolutely
>minimal re-learning (replace cvs with svn basically) and the
>conversion is automated and simple.
>
>just 2 cents, I know that SVN is not perfect, but it is a few classes
>above CVS.
>
>Andy

Hi all,

being involved in big developments with CVS and SVN in industry, I
would like to add my comments on this topic.

We also use ClearCase and Aegis (+ a similar tool of our own) and
Starteam.

Beware of SVN. In particular on two critical points :
- performances
- ability to know what you're doing with branches

No space here to elaborate on theses very special points but my 2
cents :

- SVN could criple performances when commiting / updating ...
- branches are in a very early and naive state of implementation, you
could be lost in revision numbers just to merge 2 poor little
files

CVS offers less features but has a big advantage : it's very simple and
crystal clear !

I agree with people that say that's bad to change the source control
software near release time. That's not the moment : why make things
harder in that particular time?

But for the future I would suggest :

- all must agree on centralized model
- given that proper usage of source control software could be agreed
- you may choose good tools even they implement distributed
repository : it's just a matter of implementing good pratices in the
team
- git, monotone and darcs are very good tools
- Aegis is a more robust tool that enable you to define a unique branch
of integration : thus ensuring a good centralized model with strong
features like change sets...

That's said, the most features of the source control software the team
would use, better the tracability and control will be ;). I.e. tagging
releases, using scripts to make integration (apply a patch, merge a
source tree, check good&bad files in working directories, maximize
synthetic information and minimize differences...

Cheers,
Michel