On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:06:16 +0200 (CEST), "Dave Andreoli"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> ----- "Ethan Grammatikidis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:12:02 +0200 (CEST), "Dave Andreoli"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > little
> > general
> > unified
> > and
> > >
> > > ...and forgetting also the users map!
> > > Yes it's crazy to have all this account verification system, I
> > think
> > > the only reasonable solution is the use of openid.net (like every
> > site
> > > should do) in every service we have.

> > work..
> > >
> > > I could change the login system of the user map to openid
> > > Dave
> >
> > How trustworthy is openid? I see they are linked to AOL and Yahoo,
> > who
> > might not be as well-known for data collection as Google, but I would
> > be
> > greatly surprised if those services don't collect user data. I also
> > wouldn't believe what I hear. Much the same goes for other companies
> > in
> > their list. AFAIK data collection on customers/users is normal for
> > corporations today, unless stated otherwise in legally-binding terms.
> > There is no mention of privacy at all on openid.net's front page,
> > which
> > I find distinctly worrying. No link to a 'privacy policy' is unusual
> > nowadays.
> >

> I don't know exactly, I never used this service, but on the site they
> say:
>
> Who Owns or Controls OpenID?
>
> OpenID has arisen from the open source community to solve the problems
> that could not be easily solved by other existing technologies. OpenID is
> a lightweight method of identifying individuals that uses the same
> technology framework that is used to identify websites. As such, OpenID
> is not owned by anyone, nor should it be. Today, anyone can choose to be
> an OpenID user or an OpenID Provider for free without having to register
> or be approved by any organization.
>
> The OpenID Foundation was formed to assist the open source model by
> providing a legal entity to be the steward for the community by providing
> needed infrastructure and generally helping to promote and support
> expanded adoption of OpenID.
>
> As Brad Fitzpatrick (the father of OpenID) said, &#8220;Nobody should own
> this.
> Nobody&#8217;s planning on making any money from this. The goal is to release
> every part of this under the most liberal licenses possible, so there&#8217;s
> no money or licensing or registering required to play. It benefits the
> community as a whole if something like this exists, and we&#8217;re all a part
> of the community.&#8221;
>
> This statement continues to resonate today within the OpenID community.
> ------------------

Well that certainly looks noble. Perhaps I'm a little paranoid to still
be worrying about it, but I couldn't possibly consider all the
implications now, and might not have the energy to do so for a couple of
months. I would feel safer if openid wasn't the only login method. :)

> > site
> > that

> > specifically
> > edje

> > will

> > minutes
> > only
> > Remember,
> > users to

> > from
> > (please

> > let

> > win
> > anywhere in

> > Developer's
> > win
> > in

> > Developer's
> > win
> > in

> > Developer's
> > great
> > the
> > > challenge
> > > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
> > great
> > > prizes
> > > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
> > the
> > > world
> > > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
> > --
> > Ethan Grammatikidis

> > challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> > prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> > world
Ethan Grammatikidis