----- "Ethan Grammatikidis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:12:02 +0200 (CEST), "Dave Andreoli"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >
> > ----- "Sthithaprajna Garapaty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto:
> >
> > > On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Dan Kronstal
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> little
> > > more
> general
> > > comment
> unified
> > > account
> and
> > > now
> > > You're forgetting bugzilla & trac
> >
> > ...and forgetting also the users map!
> > Yes it's crazy to have all this account verification system, I
> think
> > the only reasonable solution is the use of openid.net (like every
> site
> > should do) in every service we have.
> >

> > > We do want to integrate them all so there's a single sign-on, but
> > > because they are all separate systems, this might be a lot of
> work..
> > > Any volunteers?........
> >
> > I could change the login system of the user map to openid
> > Dave
>
> How trustworthy is openid? I see they are linked to AOL and Yahoo,
> who
> might not be as well-known for data collection as Google, but I would
> be
> greatly surprised if those services don't collect user data. I also
> wouldn't believe what I hear. Much the same goes for other companies
> in
> their list. AFAIK data collection on customers/users is normal for
> corporations today, unless stated otherwise in legally-binding terms.
> There is no mention of privacy at all on openid.net's front page,
> which
> I find distinctly worrying. No link to a 'privacy policy' is unusual
> nowadays.

I don't know exactly, I never used this service, but on the site they say:

Who Owns or Controls OpenID?

OpenID has arisen from the open source community to solve the problems that
could not be easily solved by other existing technologies. OpenID is a
lightweight method of identifying individuals that uses the same technology
framework that is used to identify websites. As such, OpenID is not owned by
anyone, nor should it be. Today, anyone can choose to be an OpenID user or an
OpenID Provider for free without having to register or be approved by any
organization.

The OpenID Foundation was formed to assist the open source model by providing a
legal entity to be the steward for the community by providing needed
infrastructure and generally helping to promote and support expanded adoption
of OpenID.

As Brad Fitzpatrick (the father of OpenID) said, “Nobody should own this.
Nobody’s planning on making any money from this. The goal is to release every
part of this under the most liberal licenses possible, so there’s no money or
licensing or registering required to play. It benefits the community as a whole
if something like this exists, and we’re all a part of the community.”

This statement continues to resonate today within the OpenID community.