On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Viktor Kojouharov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 09:17 +1000, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:04:53 -0300 "Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> things
> provides

> customizes

> to back
> > >
> > > :-P and if you want more arguments, Brazilian Digital TV standard uses
> > > Lua for one of the interactive standard (lua + xml, the other being
> > > java).

> (lightroom),
> > >
> > > some years ago it was very hard to find a small and lean js
> implementation.

> lua to
> efficiency than
> but ...
> get to
> the
> > >
> > > but maybe it's not up to them to decide? Maybe it was imposed by the
> > > tech guys somehow (like at INdT, ProFUSION...), so they have to learn
> > > EDC and {embryo,lua}.

> supported,
> sandboxed
> > >
> > > JS will fill most of them too.

> > > I think that both are at the same level, this is like optimizing the
> > > code that is not the hot path, if it's not the hot path, make it
> > > easier to read, to use, to understand... that's my point for JS.
> > >
> > > That said, I don't care too much if it's JS or Lua, for me it would be
> > > a minimally easier to use JS as I know the language, but I don't mind
> > > using Lua. But we need to evaluate other options to end with
> > > yet-another-embryo. Using JS will not impact badly, but can bring more
> > > marketing and good public image to E to use something that people
> > > know... as you were saying on the other threads, E needs more
> > > developers, needs better marketing and these things can help.
> >
> > ok - do we have a small stand-alone javascript engine library that comes
> with
> > minimal/almost no bindings of its own (ie so its just an execution engine
> - not
> > part of webkit etc. etc.) that is comparable to lua in speed/size etc.?
>

> Rhino is java based, so that's out. Then we have SpiderMonkey, which is
> currently used by gecko1.9. That's not as fast as webkit's engine. Then
> there's tamarin, which is practically future proof, with its support for
> ES4. However, it's not complete. I don't know of any other engines out
> there.

In my opinion and my experience using javascript and Lua, I strongly prefer
Lua.
I honestly think it is the best fit for this project. I personally use Lua
for some of my projects at work because it is efficient in both size/speed.
I use it to create GUI's for Server RAID setups making it easier to set them
up. The environment is LiveCD but stripped to include almost all RAID
controller drivers and a simple GUI. I am currently working on setting up
the environment using the EFL so if Lua became part of the project that
would make my day.

This is just my 2cents.