I generally agree with this claim, and it's true about many things, but
I also think we should include "recommended defaults" for people who are
unsure about what's good/wanted. If not in the configure so at least in
the README/INSTALL :)

Don't you think? This will mean more users will benefit from a faster
system (and that's what we are here for...).

--
Tom.