On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 10:13:05 +0200 Tom Hacohen
<tom.haco...@partner.samsung.com> said:

i have no problems with the README suggestion optimizations you'd like to use.
making it a configure --enable-optimizations isn't any better than saying
'recommended optimizations: export CFLAGS="..."' with the first being more
obscure. as such we just should encourage people packaging EFL to use them, but
they have their own policies too. we could recommend optimizing for core2 and
better but their policy may be to support pentium and up or 486 and up.. or 386
and up - or in the arm world we could say "optimize for armv7!" but they have
to support armv4... the linker optimizations are not arch dependent ones of
course, but they are toolchain dependent - does your toolchain support it... is
it stable? brand new feature of gcc. definitely hasn't been tested widely by
now. do we go turning an optimization on just because the compiler CAN do it?
inform the packagers etc. that such an optimization may exist and that it may
help - sure. do we even know how much it helps? do we have numbers? no. in
theory it can help by inlining across objects. great. avoid a call and return
for such inlined functions. BUT... instead you increase your instruction fetch
bandwidth as you inlined instead of recycled, and your binary sizes go up as
you "copy and paste" code around. there comes a price for the optimization. i
say that we leave it up to the person compiling to make that choice as even WE
don't know for sure if it even helps, and if so, how much, and what the general
price in size is that we pay.