On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 23:39:16 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 00:30:47 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
> > On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 23:12:21 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> > <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> >
> > > right now as best i know (please. i'd love to have other people
> > > who know this around), i'm the one with probably the most
> > > experience with audio. i spent several years as a teenager
> > > composing audio tunes via mod trackers. i have a decent
> > > understanding of what sequencing, tracking and sample
> > > manipulation are about - i am far from an expert at things like
> > > mp3/vorbis audio codec, but i do know the principles. if there is
> > > a problem in the api design (which is all in edc - and its right
> > > now a tiny partial implementation of my requirements, there is
> > > more to come) then i'd love to have people other than me know
> > > enough about audio, mixing, sequencing etc. to actually say
> > > something. speak up if u think u have audio under your belt. but
> > > as best i know, no-one has indicated they know this to
> > > date. :( so i guess as the for-no-defacto-audio-guy...
> >
> > For what it's worth I have experience in the following -
> >
> > Designing and programming pro MIDI equipment.
> > Writing MIDI sequencers.
> > Live mixing.
> > Studio mixing.
> > Live music performing.
> > Recorded music performing.
> > Being a roadie.
> > Hanging out with musicians (a professional skill I have on my
> > resume). Recreational drugs (goes with the former, not mentioned on
> > my resume).
> >
> > And I'm a trained musician.  Though that training predates computer
> > music.  lol
> >
> > While it's true I've not done any of that in the last decade, I do
> > have a job composing short bits of music for a game coming up soon.
> >
> > I've not looked at that commit.
>
> well damn then.. you should have been adding audio support to efl
> years ago!

If I remember, last time I asked, you where burned with esound and
there was not gonna be any sound support.

>:-P next week i'll mail my sound api in edc. what;'s there right now
> is a bare minimum so it can be built on and api can be discussed, but
> it's basically what i did in my tracker days (mods/s3m/xm/etc.) which
> were basically midi files WITH samples included in the file (and
> often other custom fun bits added). what is there now is simply
> sample storage/encoding and playback "as is" at the encoded
> samplerate and mixing of those audio outputs if needed (and
> resampling to device output rate and sending to audio device -
> modular).

That's actually more than my current project needs.  Looking forward to
the entire thing though.  Especially if it can be used for spatial
sound and real time 'net sound mixing.