On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:50:08 -0500 Youness Alaoui
> <kakar...@kakaroto.homelinux.net> wrote:
>
> > Carsten, a few people have noted their disappointment (and anger) at
> > this being merged and some requested it to be reverted, you didn't
> > even take the time to answer them and address their concerns.. Could
> > you please take the time to do that, since you obviously had time to
> > respond to David with such a long email, it looks bad for you to
> > respond to only what you want and ignore everyone else.
>
> Actually, raster has replied a couple of times to those concerns in
> this thread.

I checked before writing that, he only replied to Vincent's mail with :
   "i'm not sure this is much different from anything else that goes on in
efl. i
    have done work for a decade+ without discussing patches on the mailing
list
    first. so have most developers. as such this patch this time was going
through
    me."
which isn't "let's talk about your concerns" but rather a "it's fine,I've
always done that".
Then Mike, Gustavo, Tom and Rafael all responded, agreeing with Vincent and
adding their own concerns, and I haven't seen an answer to any of their
mails.

> For the record, I'm not really interested in whether or not it goes in
> for this release or not.  It does not do anything for me within the time
> frame of this release that I had not already done for the relevant
> projects.  For future projects I'm planning, sure it will be great.  So
> my efforts are on the "let's actually talk about the API", and not
> saying anything about it's release timing.

I personally like the API, it is probably too complex for what most people
would use it for, but as long as you can do the simple things easily but
use more complex constructs for complex stuff, I'm fine with that (I
haven't actually looked at how easy it would be for a simple "play this
.wav when the button is clicked", so can't see if the easy requirement is
satisfied).

One issue though is that from what I was told, the sound engine is modular
inside edje and an alsa module was written. I find this completely absurd
to have a sound abstraction module inside edje. It clearly should go into
ecore (ecore_sound or something) and have edje use that, because then you'd
have people writing alsa/oss/pulse/ps3 modules for edje, but noone can use
them outside of edje. That's a big design flaw right there and that's
something I disagree with.

I am truly excited about having something powerful like that in edje
though, but I see Mike/Gustavo/Tom/Rafael's concerns + some of the stuff
said on IRC and I have to agree with them. While this is cool, it is not
the right time for it to get merged, the API should have been discussed,
and it's an important feature that needs to be matured before a release and
the 2 week feature freeze is definitely not enough to mature it. Its place
is in edje 1.2 or whatever and not to be thrown into svn right before the
deadline. While the "feature freeze" means you can't add new features, it
doesn't mean that you can add anything just before it. This isn't the right
way of doing things, and it feels like this feature might have been
committed at the last minute out of pressions from samsung rather than from
a consensus of "this is needed and it's the right thing to do" amongst the
EFL developers.

Just my 2 cents.
KaKaRoTo