On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:33:42 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 07:23:27 +0100 (CET) Vincent Torri <vto...@univ-evry.fr>
> said:
>

> > On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> >
> > > attached. this was a sample edc that would be able to play audio, not just
> > > single samples but whole sequences across multiple tracks as well as
> > > control specific channels and tracks. it didn't specify looping params
> > > yet or other additional stuff.
> >
> > i've never heard about that sound plan before the commit. The patch was
> > not public and we could not have discussed about it before the commit. So
> > I really don't like the way it came into edje.
>
> i'm not sure this is much different from anything else that goes on in efl. i
> have done work for a decade+ without discussing patches on the mailing list
> first. so have most developers. as such this patch this time was going through
> me. the comments on the patch so far havent actually commented on the edc api
> it adds at all which everyone is up in arms about "for release". so since
> everyone complaining isn't actually talking about that... i'll write it here
> in short form. it adds:
>    sounds {
>       sample {
>          name: "<NAME>" <ENCODING>;
>          source: "<SAMPLE_FILE>";
>       }
>       tone: "<NAME>" <FREQ>;
>    }
> and 2 more actions:
>    PLAY_SAMPLE "<NAME>" <SPEED>;
>    PLAY_TONE "<NAME>" <DURATION>;
>
> that's it. unfortunately to make this WORK u need a chunk of infra like being
> able to load and encode samples into edj files, decode them, play and mix
> them, resample them, etc. all of which is opaque to the api.

I'm fairly certain that his objection is not to the API or features it
introduces, but for the timetable and lack of PUBLIC review for such a huge
patch. You continue to claim that "it's tiny" and "it only affects you if you
are using the features it introduces". Both of these are false claims which
have been disproved by me and others.
We have less than two weeks until the 1.1 release. Prior to this addition, EFL
and Edje were considered by everyone in the community be stable and in good
shape. This is no longer the case, and I'm sure there are many others aside
from Vincent who would agree with this sentiment.

I vote that the sound API and all related commits be reverted immediately and
pushed off until after 1.1. Regardless of your expertise on sound
implementations and how solid you may claim it to be, this feature CANNOT be
tested sufficiently to meet EFL quality standards before the release. That alone
should be enough to have ensured that it was never committed in the first
place, other breakages notwithstanding.

--
Mike Blumenkrantz
Zentific: Doctor recommended, mother approved.