Good point about the authors.. There are 22 total who contributed to
edje_cc* files and only 6 to edje_cc.c specifically.
git log edje_cc* | grep Author | awk '{print $2}' | sort | uniq | wc
22

I definitely agree that it would be stupid to change the other libs or even
edje itself to GPL, and I would definitely disagree with that myself. I
also don't like how GPL is a kind of viral like license, but the way I
usually do it (personally) is : GPL for apps, LGPL for libraries.
That being said, releasing *only* the edje_cc binary in GPL (keeping edje
library and edje_decc, etc.. as BSD-like) would be a good solution to this
epp problem.
In order to avoid having to get approval from all 22 authors on the edje_cc
files, how about a compromise, write a new edje_cc, which would use the
BSD-like code from the existing code base (edje_cc_handlers.c,
edje_cc_parse.c, etc..) but just write the 'main' function in a GPL-ed file
which includes and calls those BSD-like functions/files. That is of course,
assuming that a GPL .o can be 'legally' linked with a BSD .o (I think it
is, but I'm not sure about it) to provide the final binary.
edje_cc.c is only 250 lines of code, so it should be quite easy to rewrite
it, or we could just ask permission from the 6 authors of edje_cc.c :
barbieri
caro
cedric
lucas
mike_m
raster

We could also have a edje_cc_gpl alongside edje_cc which would not depend
on epp and integrates it... This is particularly useful for windows where
it's a bit tricky to get edje_cc.exe to find epp.exe (although that works
fine and is not too hard, it's a bit of a hassle).
Anyways, I'm just throwing ideas, doesn't mean any makes sense :)