From: "Tom Hacohen"<tom.haco...@samsung.com>
To: <enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>;
Sent: 2013-10-07 (월) 18:43:24
Subject: Re: [E-devel] [EGIT] [core/efl] master 01/01: Revert "evas/textblock -
null check."

On 07/10/13 09:14, ChunEon Park wrote:
> Yes there was a misunderstanding. I agree.
>
> But I didn't disagree on Tom's request and revert.
> I agree on him(lack of commit message) and you.

I'm glad you agree with that, as that was the only thing I was arguing
about.

> I just wondered one of the sentence in his revert comment.
>
> "I'm the only maintainer of."
> "this commit looks wrong. evas_textblock_cursor_format_is_visible_get should
> verify there's a format node..."

Clarification: to whoever is reading this email, this is a *HUGE* misquote.

Full commit message:
"
I'm sorry, but those kind of commit messages are unacceptable for code
     I'm the only maintainer of. It's bad enough that to have them in the
     project in general, but this I won't accept.

     I wanted to review this commit, but the lack of explanation about what
     you are trying to fix and why you think this is the good fix
prevents me
     from doing my job. However, without really looking too much into it,
     this commit looks wrong. evas_textblock_cursor_format_is_visible_get
     should verify there's a format node...

     Please come up with a better commit message and re-commit.
"

When reading this in context it's pretty obvious that:
1. I wrote the "I'm the only maintainer of" regarding the commit
message, not the code.
2. I asked you to explain why you think it's right, and what it breaks.
3. I explicitly said I didn't look too much into it, but just from
skimming (without checking), it doesn't look right.

To avoid confusion: let's make this thread about the culture and the
commit message and just submit a patch to the ML with a better
explanation or commit a fix with better explanation (former is better).

I never questioned the fix, I just said it's impossible for me to know
if it's correct.

--
Tom.