On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 09:06:14 +0200 Stefan Schmidt <ste...@osg.samsung.com> said:

> [...]
> >> wl_input_method (https://phab.enlightenment.org/D2275) however we cannot
> >> "securely" push those until we have a working VKbd implementation to go
> >> with them. I pinged shiin to see if he could also hack up a vkbd to go
> >> with.
> >>
> >> While not a Top priority, support for wl_scaler and wl_viewport would be
> >> remaining things to drop in after July 3. We have pending patches for
> >> that also (https://phab.enlightenment.org/D2485) however those need some
> >> refactoring.

> >> While I have not tested it yet, Mike has updated/refactored my initial
> >> XWayland branch and pushed that upstream already which means we should
> >> have working XWayland support now. I've not tested it yet myself however
> >> he did manage to get Firefox running with it (which is good news) :)
> >>
> >> E/Elm apps are running good in E-Wl. Gtk apps also (tho Some gtk apps
> >> have popup menu placement issues according to Phab reports). I don't
> >> suspect that those are Major issues and likely will take little time to
> >> fix.
> >>
> >> QT apps on the other hand are a whole different can of worms. Apparenly,
> >> QT5 has not been updated yet to support xdg_shell version 5 which means,
> >> while the apps do run, they have quite a few issues. I spoke with RzR
> >> about it and he plans to update QT5 to support xdg_shell version 5 which
> >> should address issues there.
> >>
> >> There are a few pending buggers listed on Phab which I/we will be
> >> addressing in the coming weeks tho I don't think any of them are Major
> >> problems (in terms of functionality).
> >>
> >> It is likely that I may be forgetting something in this list, so if you
> >> can think of something I may have missed, please ask.
> > the question reading between the lines from users is:
> >
> > "can i now use E20 to switch to wayland?"
> >
> > :)
> >
> > i've talked with you about this - i know that i personally can't. my 2 main
> > desktop systems have new nvidia rigs and literally have zero nouveau
> > support. i know i'm not the only one and for many nouveau is still iffy. i
> > am sure we could get more people working on wayland if we could run "e in a
> > window" in x11
> > - ie wl-x11. like weston does. with a but of imagination it'd be possible to
> > get full acceleration for egl working too.
> >
> > from a pr point of view, for many people they'd like to "see how e wayland
> > is going" without having to drop out of x11 to do it. this'd help answer a
> > lot of questions people have. :) it'd also mean a LOT more helping getting
> > wayland moving along.
> >
> > btw - how goes session recovering with uuid's etc. ... stefan?
>
> The uuid store is in for some time. I have branch with a wayland
> protocol extension to pass the uuid arround which I can push in later
> today or tomorrow.
> What is still missing the re-connect handling, keeping apps alive and
> making sure they come back correctly when the compositor comes back.

thats a necessary part of the uuid thing. it needs all of these done to be
"done":

1. store of uuids that survives e segs/restarts correctly (tho not logout/in)
2. protocol to assign uuids and pass them around back to comp
3. reconnect code that correctly uses assigned uuids
4. code to restore state of windows with these uuids based on store in #1

:)

sounds like you're missing some bits. :) we need all 4 bits. :)

> As I will be mostly offline for the next three weeks starting from
> tomorrow afternoon this has to wait until beginning of August. Given
> this is wayland only right now it should be within the scope for wayland
> fixes in the freeze. EFL 1.15 needs to be out before e20 in any case.

sure. but i see that is why it looks like its not there. missing several pieces
of the puzzle. :)