On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 12:21:07 +0900
Jean-Philippe André <j...@videolan.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Christopher Michael <
> cpmich...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>
> > On 07/28/2015 05:29 PM, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:

> > > I am not advocating in either direction, but I will need to immediately
> > do
> > > another E19 release as well as make changes in E-git if this is reverted;
> > > internal windows will remain permanently unclickable in this case since
> > > hacks were added to work around these changes.

> > Also not advicating in either direction, but this DID cause US a lot of
> > HEADACHE because it changed expected behaviour. IMO, a bit late in the
> > process to introduce a major change like this. This SHOULD have been
> > done earlier in the cycle and had time to flush out.
>

> Sorry to sound so naive, but did you report those behaviour breaks? Why
> work around instead of fixing EFL?

These sorts of things happen regularly. Every time I update Elementary on my
desktop, I find new "bugs" in applications that I've written as a result of
behavior changes. We usually say that such changes are justified because "it's a
bug fix" or "the previous behavior was broken", but these are still behavior
changes which break applications.

> If I understand correctly, E 19.6+ are compatible with EFL < 1.15, but only
> E from git is compatible with EFL 1.15?

<E19.6 requires EFL < 1.15 due to behavioral changes

E19.6 requires EFL >= 1.15 because I didn't get the backwards compatibility
right on the first try

E19.7 requires EFL >= 1.11 (as in E19.0 release)

E-git requires >= 1.15 for API usage

> Then we have a problem IMHO since our release cycles are not in sync, we
> can't just go and break everyone's E by updating EFL. This includes forked
> versions of E, as well as other applications using ecore events directly.

I don't think the release cycle timelines are an issue here, especially
considering you're citing forked versions of E which we have no control over.

If "E19" compatibility is something that we are concerned with, the 19.7
release from last week resolves those issues and will have already been out for
long enough that any distributions which ship EFL should have already picked it
up by the time the final 1.15 release occurs.

If we're concerned with theoretical other applications which may be affected by
this, I can produce a 19.8 release to remove this codepath in E prior to the
1.15 release, assuming that a decision is made which provides me with enough
time to do so. Ideally anyone who has picked up 19.6-7 will also pick up a 19.8
release in time for users to not be affected by any issues.