Hi,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:

> [...]
> patching
> are

> immediately
> reverted;
> since

> of
> >>
> >> Sorry to sound so naive, but did you report those behaviour breaks? Why
> >> work around instead of fixing EFL?
> >
> > These sorts of things happen regularly. Every time I update Elementary
> on my
> > desktop, I find new "bugs" in applications that I've written as a result
> of
> > behavior changes. We usually say that such changes are justified because
> "it's a
> > bug fix" or "the previous behavior was broken", but these are still
> behavior
> > changes which break applications.
>
> Ok, this is something that should not happen, but did in the past.
> That's why I have been advocating for proper behavior checking of the
> whole stack for a long time and that is finally moving forward with
> exactness starting to get some love, but much more is needed (still we
> also need espion to move forward on this). One of the thing we should
> not let slide, is to report any future breakage as soon as it happen,
> ideally we should be able to record a trace for an exactness tests
> suite and make sure that doesn't get broken.
>
> >> If I understand correctly, E 19.6+ are compatible with EFL < 1.15, but
> only
> >> E from git is compatible with EFL 1.15?
> >
> > <E19.6 requires EFL < 1.15 due to behavioral changes
> >
> > E19.6 requires EFL >= 1.15 because I didn't get the backwards
> compatibility
> > right on the first try
> >
> > E19.7 requires EFL >= 1.11 (as in E19.0 release)
> >
> > E-git requires >= 1.15 for API usage
>
> Ok, now I am super confused ! So if we revert the change from current
> EFL tree, E19.7 should be fine as it is compatible with previous
> version of EFL. Will E-git still be fine ? If it wil, we can just
> revert and have the situation fixed.
>
> >> Then we have a problem IMHO since our release cycles are not in sync, we
> >> can't just go and break everyone's E by updating EFL. This includes
> forked
> >> versions of E, as well as other applications using ecore events
> directly.
> >
> > I don't think the release cycle timelines are an issue here, especially
> > considering you're citing forked versions of E which we have no control
> over.
> >
> > If "E19" compatibility is something that we are concerned with, the 19.7
> > release from last week resolves those issues and will have already been
> out for
> > long enough that any distributions which ship EFL should have already
> picked it
> > up by the time the final 1.15 release occurs.
>
> That's not how it should work. Any release of EFL should not break a
> released software that use the expected behavior of EFL. Especially

Yeah, we're talking about EFL here, which apparently broke behaviour in
such a way that it broke existing apps (E).

> If we're concerned with theoretical other applications which may be
> affected by
> > this, I can produce a 19.8 release to remove this codepath in E prior to
> the
> > 1.15 release, assuming that a decision is made which provides me with
> enough
> > time to do so. Ideally anyone who has picked up 19.6-7 will also pick up
> a 19.8
> > release in time for users to not be affected by any issues.
>
> I may misunderstand your sentences here, but the issue is in EFL 1.15
> which is breaking existing software not in E. So I believe we should
> remove the breakage from EFL, and if by reverting things from EFL we
> have E fixed then we are good. That's the main question here.

Is there a precise path to observe the original bug?
I'm running E 19.5 with EFL from git but can't see anything special.
Or did you actually fix ecore to restore similar behaviour as before?

--
Jean-Philippe André