Hello.

On 29/07/15 08:44, Jean-Philippe André wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Michael Blumenkrantz
>> <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 5cb6cdbc5e1a13ea0262e155983b494e6519abde in
>> patching
>> are
>> immediately
>> reverted;
>> since
>> of
>>> These sorts of things happen regularly. Every time I update Elementary
>> on my
>>> desktop, I find new "bugs" in applications that I've written as a result
>> of
>>> behavior changes. We usually say that such changes are justified because
>> "it's a
>>> bug fix" or "the previous behavior was broken", but these are still
>> behavior
>>> changes which break applications.
>> Ok, this is something that should not happen, but did in the past.
>> That's why I have been advocating for proper behavior checking of the
>> whole stack for a long time and that is finally moving forward with
>> exactness starting to get some love, but much more is needed (still we
>> also need espion to move forward on this). One of the thing we should
>> not let slide, is to report any future breakage as soon as it happen,
>> ideally we should be able to record a trace for an exactness tests
>> suite and make sure that doesn't get broken.

>> only
>>> <E19.6 requires EFL < 1.15 due to behavioral changes
>>>
>>> E19.6 requires EFL >= 1.15 because I didn't get the backwards
>> compatibility
>>> right on the first try
>>>
>>> E19.7 requires EFL >= 1.11 (as in E19.0 release)
>>>
>>> E-git requires >= 1.15 for API usage
>> Ok, now I am super confused ! So if we revert the change from current
>> EFL tree, E19.7 should be fine as it is compatible with previous
>> version of EFL. Will E-git still be fine ? If it wil, we can just
>> revert and have the situation fixed.

>> forked
>> directly.
>>> I don't think the release cycle timelines are an issue here, especially
>>> considering you're citing forked versions of E which we have no control
>> over.
>>> If "E19" compatibility is something that we are concerned with, the 19.7
>>> release from last week resolves those issues and will have already been
>> out for
>>> long enough that any distributions which ship EFL should have already
>> picked it
>>> up by the time the final 1.15 release occurs.
>> That's not how it should work. Any release of EFL should not break a
>> released software that use the expected behavior of EFL. Especially
>> when we only have so few of them.
>>
> Yeah, we're talking about EFL here, which apparently broke behaviour in
> such a way that it broke existing apps (E).

> [...]

Look at Dave's mail replying to the E 0.19.6 release. He raised the
point there. Let me quote it:
"Something crazy wrong with the settings dialogs in this release. The
first click inside a dialog registers fine, but any subsequent clicks
will register exactly the same as the first click. Nothing appears in
the .xsession-errors file as it happens. Running efl/elementary 1.14.2 ."

I cc'ed Ji-Youn as I'm not sure she is at the latest of this list yet.

 From my side, with the release hat on, I would say this needs to get corrected
before 1.15 final. If it gets a fix that restores the old behaviour and keeps
the new code in (if at all possible) depends on how quick a fix can be found.
Today and tomorrow Korean time would be fine.

After that we should revert and leave the fix for 1.16 to allow Mike reverting
his change in E and bring out a 0.19.8 which restores the correct behaviour
with the way efl worked before. How does that sound?

regards
Stefan Schmidt