On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:18:27 +0000 Tom Hacohen <t...@stosb.com> said:

> Heya,
>
> I personally think it's a bad idea to rely on a proprietary tool for
> open source development, and from what I remember, I'm not the only
> one.
> This is partially why we self host git and not use Github et al.
>
> Long live IRC.
>
> https://xkcd.com/1782/

there are things slack does that irc doesn't - like work well with mobiles...
but it does have downsides. like invite-only, closed, ...

ultimately we should solve this ourselves:

let's consider building a great IRC client (like express - work on it), and
EXTEND irc. yes. let's do what MIRC did. but let's do it a little less
annoyingly. we'd need to build some server infra to be able to upload data to
(images, videos, audio, text etc.) and much like imgur./pastebin (our own
screenshot thing for e  and visible on http://www.enlightenment.org/ss ) ...
allow a client to upload some displayable/sharable media and then just stuff a
link into the channel. if you look at slack's irc gateway when you use a giphy
image all it does is spew out:

<nick> giphy: http://gipy.com/8267fv78s6238dx

all you need is for an irc client to handle such things implicitly and convert
such lines into an image box (and then download the image in the background and
inline it once done)...

this would be a major start to modernizing irc. whatever - we can argue about
what should be done by default (download blurred out thumbnail and only
download full sized image when clicked on - or just replace with a "download
me" button... let's not get into that). the point is that using other
messengers (slack, telegram, hangouts, whatsapp) people can do this and it
looks nice and is convenient. yes people can abuse it yet such apps grow in
popularity. so use an ancient irc client where you dont see this if you hate
it (just a text url), or we can have options... but don't let this be a reason
to NOT extend and improve.

given a good irc client with such extensions we can get all of the benefits of
something like slack BUT stick to open IRC servers and channels without
fragmenting community.

then there is the other problem. mobile. ultimately someone will need a mobile
friendly server with proper remote (delayed) wakeups that don't require the
phone to maintain wake locks... and then mobile clients. technically express
could be recycled for tizen... and perhaps android if efl got good android
support. similar story for ios... :)