On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 13:07 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 19:51:27 +0930 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:
>

> > On 10/06/17 15:20, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> > > Good Morning All,
> > >
> > > There is lots of food for thought in this thread.
> > >
> > > Here is some food for thought. What about using a microservices
> > > management platform such as puppet for example to manage
> > > everything on
> > > the primary server as well as the secondary one in france?
> > >

> > As I said on IRC given the small scale of what we need I suspect
> > its
> > going to be overkill on our setup, on the other hand, having every
> > config file thats modified in a git repo somewhere probably makes
> > sense.
> > On the small number of machines I configure I tend to type "git
> > init" in
> > /etc as about the first thing I do.
>
> this actually would be by far the most sensible thing. have all cfg
> files in a
> git repo. symlink the real ones to the ones in this repo.

While a debian developed package, gentoo also has this already
automated for you!

'etc-keeper' i believe is the package name. It makes sure all changes
in /etc are always tracked automatically (or manually for certain
changes if you want it to be so.

It creates a git repo of /etc and commits after each merge for example
automatically.

For files outside of /etc, they'd need to be brought in. Gentoo does
this for some packages already, for example transmission-daemon likes
to store its config in /var/lib/transmission/config which is symlinked
to /etc/transmission on gentoo making it so we can track that too.

Just some food for thought :)

Olliver