On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM, haithem rahmani
<haithem.rahm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Iván Briano (Sachiel)
>> <sachi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Finally something will wake up that lazy bastard!
>>
>> Nah! I don't care about DirectFB or software-16 anymore
>
> Hey Guys don't do it. already the GTK people already dropped the directfb
> backend from GTK-3.0.
> I'm working to port the EFL/directfb + ewebkit  for set top boxes.
> I think for set-tops what EFL/directfb is offering is good.
> I didn't test yet but I may deliver some updates and fixes to the directfb
> engines.
> don't consider it as promesse :-).
> Rasterman I remeber I gave you such a promess  some times ago but really I
> didn't find time.
> but now I'll work to convince my boss to switch to EFL instead of GTK.
> then I think I'll find the time for that.

People are doing that basically because nobody cares, or nobody cares
to the point to make it worth. The STB argument is a recurrent one,
actually I revamped the directfb due a client that was using it, but
the contract is over and thus no motivation to do it anymore.

If you look why STB used directfb, the reason was that they had stupid
layered hardware that to make use of acceleration of each plane, with
x11, would be a major PITA (although possible), then they all went to
the directfb solution.

But nowadays the world is moving to a saner solution, based on
opengl-es 2 as people want effects and there are lots of driving
efforts like google and apple TV. With these becoming "common" the
price drops and nobody will care about fixed layer acceleration
anymore.... and Evas already supports opengl-es.

Another problem with directfb and its users is that most are unlikely
to give stuff back. I know we did contribute everything back, but not
every company is like that and people tend to build piles of patches
on top of EFL that never went public. This reduces upstream motivation
to maintain it even more :-)

So let's put like this: if directfb engine is patched to make it pass
all expedite tests, with proper map support and all, then we may keep
it, otherwise it will be dropped.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems