On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:57:40 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM, haithem rahmani
> <haithem.rahm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> > <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

> >> Nah! I don't care about DirectFB or software-16 anymore
> >
> > Hey Guys don't do it. already the GTK people already dropped the directfb
> > backend from GTK-3.0.
> > I'm working to port the EFL/directfb + ewebkit  for set top boxes.
> > I think for set-tops what EFL/directfb is offering is good.
> > I didn't test yet but I may deliver some updates and fixes to the directfb
> > engines.
> > don't consider it as promesse :-).
> > Rasterman I remeber I gave you such a promess  some times ago but really I
> > didn't find time.
> > but now I'll work to convince my boss to switch to EFL instead of GTK.
> > then I think I'll find the time for that.
>
> People are doing that basically because nobody cares, or nobody cares
> to the point to make it worth. The STB argument is a recurrent one,
> actually I revamped the directfb due a client that was using it, but
> the contract is over and thus no motivation to do it anymore.
>
> If you look why STB used directfb, the reason was that they had stupid
> layered hardware that to make use of acceleration of each plane, with
> x11, would be a major PITA (although possible), then they all went to
> the directfb solution.
>
> But nowadays the world is moving to a saner solution, based on
> opengl-es 2 as people want effects and there are lots of driving
> efforts like google and apple TV. With these becoming "common" the
> price drops and nobody will care about fixed layer acceleration
> anymore.... and Evas already supports opengl-es.
>
> Another problem with directfb and its users is that most are unlikely
> to give stuff back. I know we did contribute everything back, but not
> every company is like that and people tend to build piles of patches
> on top of EFL that never went public. This reduces upstream motivation
> to maintain it even more :-)
>
> So let's put like this: if directfb engine is patched to make it pass
> all expedite tests, with proper map support and all, then we may keep
> it, otherwise it will be dropped.

"amen." :)

(though i'll disagree about x11 being a pita - it can do what dfb can via
visuals. - x11 has supported dual layer displays long before dfb ever even
existed (24+8) - but otherwise that is slowly becoming legacy as everything is
moving to the gpu pipeline (3d unit, opengl-es2 etc. etc.).