I just wanted to add my 2 cents.  I am using an Ubuntu 11.10 machine, with the
ppa https://launchpad.net/%7Ehannes-janetzek/+archive/enlightenment-svn and I
work daily using Eclipse to code and I often have window focusing problems.  For
java I have setup to use Sun's java (/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java).

I do have the GNOME Settings Daemon and a number of other Ubuntu stuff launched
on startup, namely just to get the GTK windows looking right in addition to the
network and proxy pieces working correctly.  There is no ecomorph running or
compiz.  Mouse focus is set to click to focus.

I really like e17, but the conflicts with Eclipse focusing is getting harder to
accept.  I haven't been able to fully list steps to reproduce yet, but some of
the symptoms I have are as follows:

1.) Edit window looses focus (greyed out).  If the text buffer has changed it
won't allow me to save.  File context "Save All" is also disallowed even though
the buffer shows change.  To save the file I have to close the tab for the file,
which will then prompt me to save the file.  I then have to dig through my
project to reopen the file.

2.) Select text in an editor for a file, find and Replace window (I have mapped
to CTRL+F) when invoked will appear but the editor has lost focus so the "Find"
button will be greyed out until the editor window is selected and the Find &
Replace window is reselected.

3.)  When debugging, the thread stack doesn't always allow switching a thread
(seems to ignore the click).

On a side note, Mono (debugger) also will crash when hovering over a variable in
the watch window.  A tooltip usually displays extended values of the variable
(like a full string).

Not sure what else I can do to help, but I will try to see if I can get the
issue to be reproducible.