On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:26:15 +0200 Francois <fan...@gmail.com> said:

> Jeremy Quandt <quand...@hotmail.com
> <mailto:quand...@hotmail.com?Subject=Re:%20%20e17%20and%20eclipse%20-%20focus%
> 20problem>> wrote:
> >
> > I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I am using an Ubuntu 11.10 machine,
> > with the
> > ppa
> > https://launchpad.net/%7Ehannes-janetzek/+archive/enlightenment-svn and I
> > work daily using Eclipse to code and I often have window focusing
> > problems. For
> > java I have setup to use Sun's java
> > (/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java).
> >
> > I do have the GNOME Settings Daemon and a number of other Ubuntu stuff
> > launched
> > on startup, namely just to get the GTK windows looking right in
> > addition to the
> > network and proxy pieces working correctly. There is no ecomorph
> > running or
> > compiz. Mouse focus is set to click to focus.
> >
> > I really like e17, but the conflicts with Eclipse focusing is getting
> > harder to
> > accept. I haven't been able to fully list steps to reproduce yet, but
> > some of
> > the symptoms I have are as follows:
> >
> > 1.) Edit window looses focus (greyed out). If the text buffer has
> > changed it
> > won't allow me to save. File context "Save All" is also disallowed
> > even though
> > the buffer shows change. To save the file I have to close the tab for
> > the file,
> > which will then prompt me to save the file. I then have to dig through my
> > project to reopen the file.
> >
> > 2.) Select text in an editor for a file, find and Replace window (I
> > have mapped
> > to CTRL+F) when invoked will appear but the editor has lost focus so
> > the "Find"
> > button will be greyed out until the editor window is selected and the
> > Find &
> > Replace window is reselected.
> >
> > 3.) When debugging, the thread stack doesn't always allow switching a
> > thread
> > (seems to ignore the click).
> >
> > On a side note, Mono (debugger) also will crash when hovering over a
> > variable in
> > the watch window. A tooltip usually displays extended values of the
> > variable
> > (like a full string).
> >
> > Not sure what else I can do to help, but I will try to see if I can
> > get the
> > issue to be reproducible.
>

> For the record, I do experience similar problems, which disapear when I
> switch to Gnome, so it really seems to be a window manager problem.  The
> point 1) above is really annoying for me.
>
>   I use E17 from trunk with easy_e17.sh script on a Debian Sid machine,
> with an Eclipse 3.7.1 and a Java 7 (openJDK) JVM.
>
> I don't know how I could help solving these issues, but if I can help, I
> will be glad to.

i'm going to give something very non-positive here now. look for mentions of
the word java in e17's src. and then look for the swear words right near it.
here is the reality of things:

java's awt is built to emulate a windows style focus and behavior world.
having read some of its x11 layer code, it looks like it's written by some
junior programmer with little to no idea about x11. it tries make a x11+wm
world appear like the windows world. reality is that this is nigh impossible.
and doing so to work across wm's needs high levewls of skill, knowledge,
experience and needs care and effort. java has code (i've read it before)
SPECIFICALLY to detect a range of window managers and work around them, do
weird and wonderful things in each situation, and try all sorts of tricks to get
things to happen that it wants.

fact is that java doesn't respect icccm/netwm/x11 correctly and does hacks to
get its "write once, run anywhere" to work. i gave up working around java a
long time ago. i'm down to not really caring anymore as i've sunk 100's of
hours of trying to find "bugs" in e only to find it's java being a "dick". i
have little patience or time to bother anymore.

patches (that don't totally screw e17's src) accepted. :)