On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:12:10 -0600 Esteban Monge <esteban.franci...@gmail.com>
said:

> 2013/11/25 Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>

> > E18.

> > 64bits.

> > process
> > Iceweasel

> > log.

> > > IIRC, there is no option to change the engine in Settings/Composite in
> > > e18. You need to instead open the elementary config and change the
> > > engine to OpenGL there.
> >
> > there is definitely 100% an option to change engine. under rendering.
> >
> > > When I first installed and used e18 it used software compositing by
> > > default, and I found the elm config option only after several weeks. I
> > > realized something was not right when I found it a bit odd that
> > > scrolling in the webpages were slightly slow.

> > > Software experts and developers: Be at the forefront of tech innovation.
> > > Intel(R) Software Adrenaline delivers strategic insight and game-changing
> > > conversations that shape the rapidly evolving mobile landscape. Sign up
> > now.
> > >
> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63431311&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> > >

> > --
> > ------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------
> > The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    ras...@rasterman.com

> I have these changes in my E18 configuration, no full windows composition
> and OpenGL acceleration, I noted that composite couldn't change. Maybe my
> computer is too old, but one thing that I like from Enlightenment is that
> was light and fast. I usually don't buy fast and expensive computers, just
> because, I think that one cheap and efficient laptop can do it!!!
>
> If I don't want composite I need return back to E17?

have you tries software compositing? i don't know why it's so slow for you.
maybe your driver is doing a software fallback and evas can't tell. evas has a
blacklist for gl drivers it knows are software rendered so it will just refuse
to start up on these - but maybe yours is undetected - check glxinfo for
vendor and renderer like:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2

maybe your gpu is hw rendering and it is just so insanely poor/bad you'd be
better off with software. fyi i use sw compositing on a 600mhz pentium-m next
to me and it works fine. at 600mhz. on something far more ancient and slow than
your box. sure - its not "silky smooth" but it's fast enough.

you're getting compositing in e. this is not up for negotiation. there are a
host of very good reasons for it. we just can't move on without. doing it this
way cuts the cost of compositing significantly and without doing this we cant
move to wayland. also it gets rid of a shot of bugs people report when
composting is off (eg the theme assumes compositing and when off you get shaped
display and this leads to all sorts of uglies that make some things unusable).
so "compositing always on" does these things;

1. simplifies our code so we don't have 2 paths to worry about
2. simplification allows us to actually maintain and develop things rather than
invest huge resources into testing/coding for 2 paths for what is an ever
decreasing user base
3. allows us to move on to supporting wayland (without compositing, we can't)
4. makes theme work easier as you can assume alpha channels work right
5. gets rid of artifact bugs created by not having alpha channels

now what is interesting is you claim it's gl under the compositor settings
under engine, but it's slow. see above for that. software rendering will also
cause e to rise up in cpu usage a fair bit. given current x infra we are
unfortunately forced to copy pixels from the pixmap back client-side and then
render, then upload again. we don't have a zero-copy path available.

it might also be that your gpu just can't cope with what evas is throwing at
it. it isn't that much actually. it shouldn't be that bad. if you are able to
run e on a commandline where you can set environment vars, you can collect some
debug from the gl enigne that can indicate how much geometry etc. we are
throwing at the gpu each frame.