> Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 00:12:38 -0400
> From: "Julian Loke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: EOS ETTL and Metering mode.
>
> Some other information indicates that evaluative metering might
> be much "tighter" around the selected AF point.  Canon USA employee
> Chuck Westfall, who contributes often to the visitor forums at
> Rob Galbraith's Digital Photojournalist website, gave a description
> of how the D30 Evaluative metering for ambient light in E-TTL is
> *supposed* to work.

Canon Germany CPS staffer Juergen Denter stated that
under all circumstances E-TTL flash metering uses exactly the
same metering characteristic as is set for ambient metering.
*Plus* extra emphasis on the selected focus point.

> However, D30 users (who quoted Michael Quack and this List)
> observed that evaluative metering is very much like spot
> metering at the selected focus point.

Obviously not fully spotmetering, but I assume something
like 50% weight on spot and 50% weight on the et metering
characteristic.

> Several suggested that forcing centreweighted averaging
> and switching the lens to Manual Focus could better flash
> pictures.

CPS Denter said that switching the lens AF selector switch
to "manual" will have the camera skip using the spot metering
result for AE calculations. Having average metering
characteristics activated this is almost like we are
used to....

> The issue does not seem to have been resolved

The statements by CPS staff are unmistakable.
No, the problem persists....   :-((

> (especially since Michael Quack did not spring to
> his own defence :-)

Looks like I missed this thread....   ;-))

See:
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000606.html
>  and
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000620.html

I will, later on.

> What I found more interesting is the implication that evaluative
> metering simply bases the reading on the subject falling under
> the chosen AF point.

Yes, right. At least with 50% weight in the final result.

> Where did this appear?

CPS statement during a workshop on digital large
format printing and digital workflow.

--
Michael Quack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.photoquack.de