----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <eos@a1.nl>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:06 AM
Subject: Re: EOS My 5D had water inside it - dead...

Malcolm Stewart wrote:

Got caught in a torrential lunchtime downpour in Cambridge, UK a few days ago - just like being in a really energetic car-wash for around 10 minutes. And, I was unable to find any decent cover.

My only problem with your recovery is the temperature...... 45C = 113F Might be hazardous to the internal components, in particular the lenses.

When my ham radio gear, and later my grandson's cellular phone, got 'dunked' we put them in the oven overnight with just the pilot light. Of course newer stoves probably have electronic igniters so the lowest temp would be my second choice.

Hi Bob,

Canon's operational spec for their gear is 0degC to 40degC, so I was relaxed about the camera in this particular Microwave + fan-oven etc. combo. I did protect it from radiant heat from the elements in its roof by placing 2 layers of kitchen foil (alumin(i)um) above it. Fortunately the lenses only suffered water externally and didn't need any heat treatment. (I have wondered if (non-L and unsealed) USM lenses would have survived as well on account of their use of piezo elements. I'm not going to try dunking my EF300 f2.8L IS USM though!)

Malcolm
Milton Keynes, UK