Malcolm Stewart wrote:

Got caught in a torrential lunchtime downpour in Cambridge, UK a few days ago - just like being in a really energetic car-wash for around 10 minutes. And, I was unable to find any decent cover.

EOS 5D and 4 venerable non-USM prime lenses in a Hama shoulder bag - rain sufficiently heavy to penetrate the top placed zips, and when it eased off I found a puddle at the base of my bag; and there was water on the (inside) top of the 5D's battery compartment lid. It's certainly the heaviest rain I've been in for many years. 5D totally unresponsive.

Took the main battery out, (no screwdriver for the memory backup cell) and hoped that the water was clean. Got home 4 hours later, left camera in fan oven at 40 deg C for 45 minutes. 5D (and lenses) came to life again. Must remember to carry a plastic bag in my Hama's pocket to guard against a repeat of this scare!

(And it's still working one week later with no glitches. I do not insure my camera gear, so I was relieved that previous experience of damp in a Minolta X700 and some knowledge of modern electronics was of some practical use.)

Malcolm
Milton Keynes, UK

My only problem with your recovery is the temperature...... 45C = 113F Might be hazardous to the internal components, in particular the lenses.

When my ham radio gear, and later my grandson's cellular phone, got 'dunked' we put them in the oven overnight with just the pilot light. Of course newer stoves probably have electronic igniters so the lowest temp would be my second choice.

Bob

--

                          /////
                         ( O O )