This is a question which we are bound to ask due to the nature of our
reason having sufficiently matured to have established a sense of
self.

The light thrown from one side on the subject from a purely empiricist
perspective of some responders is indispensable, though not complete –
our never ending frustration. We will never reach a sufficient answer.
By accommodating various (and apparently contradictory) explanations
each of us individually - and the community gradually as a whole - may
achieve (and has achieved) some sense of having at least started on
the road of enlightenment. This is a road with no grand finish line
where a weary pilgrim may say: “I have achieved”.

Typically “life” as an object is not a meaningless abstracted word
from “living organism”, but a concept full of meaning. For example -
as one responder implied – “life” or “living thing” transcends the
biological realm as we have defined it.

As in the sense of an ant community, “life” also transcends an
individual organism and points towards a unity of individual elements
(in this case separate organisms). If this unity is lost the “living
thing” (in this case an ant community) may be dead, although the
corresponding parts may still “have life” or “live”.

Life always struck me as having an absolute property. A thing is
either alive of not alive – there is no gradual progression in-
between.

My personal inclination is towards the possibility of an unknowable
origin and sustaining force of life itself. This force which keeps the
whole from disintegrating into its constituent parts. It is
“unknowable” in the sense that our reasoning faculties are part and
parcel of “our being alive” and we can not objectively stand back to
sufficiently examine the subject at hand.

I would thus discard the phrases “meaningless” and “in language only”
for the concept of “life” used by some responders while retaining the
phrase “eluding definition” when such a definition is sought for the
concept of “life” in general. We can at most define “life” for very
specific applications as some responders have emphasized.