I'm only a tropical fish realist Nom.  I did my chemistry in much the
same way as I might look after such fish or do gardening, relying on
books and advice.  These days even New Scientist is telling us we are
only structural realists and posit varying  realities.  WTF is real -
the atom, proton, quarks, strings?

Locke retains as an ideal the notion that scientific knowledge is
demonstrative and certain, an ideal he shares with the two main
targets of his Essay, the Aristotelians and the Cartesians. Yet in
another, ultimately more important sense, his reaction is progressive.
Impressed by empirical methods and cognizant of their poor fit with
the Aristotelian ideal, he defines a distinct kind of knowledge, one
inferior to genuine scientific knowledge but appropriate to human
sensory capacities. In so doing, he develops an epistemological basis
for the new, experimental philosophy.  The dominant scientific theory
of his day, the corpuscular hypothesis (i) takes observable bodies to
be composed of material particles or corpuscles, (ii) takes impulse
(action by surface impact) to be the primary if not the sole means of
communicating motion, and (iii) attempts to reduce qualities at the
level of observable bodies, such as color, to the primary, that is,
inherent properties of the particles composing those observable
bodies, restricting inherent properties to size, shape, number, and
motion, and holds that all other qualities and operations are
explicable in terms of that restricted set of properties.

Realism is only a hypothesis.  Locke was sharp enough not to be arsed
with the philosophers' stone and to know not any old argument would
do.  The issues are examined without reference to Locke in a David
Deutsch paper - free here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.7439&usg=AFQjCNG7V3FzB1FPO0gsSkkgz4aO1zJxVA