Now.... see?..... I did not know that......"slow down" and "sticky
substance".... metaphors.... I get.... Now.... if someone could explain it
a bit more... scientifically.... for me... what force slows "what" and
"what" sticks to "what"... etc.  and don't forget the "how"... please....

http://www.businessinsider.com/branding-science-to-save-us-all-2013-3

*The “God particle”*

The most recent example of applying branding to scientific research is the
discovery of the Higgs boson, which has been labeled the “God particle”
because its postulated existence is required to explain the creation of the
universe<http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268744/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=jRFQTIT3>from
 a scientific perspective. Most scientists hate
the
term<http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/14/tech/innovation/higgs-boson-god-particle/index.html>.

In fact, the two who are credited with inventing it, Leon Lederman and Dick
Teresi, claim it was used as a
joke<http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/03/15/174440162/the-man-who-coined-the-god-particle-explains-it-was-a-joke>.

Even so, the media latched onto the term “God particle” to emphasize its
importance and to make it easier for people to understand it. Without the
branded label, The Higgs boson is not easy for the average person to
understand. It is a particle that acts like a sticky substance, which
causes sub atomic particles to slow down and stick together to form atoms
that have mass. Back in July, Scientists at CERN in Geneva Switzerland
announced that they discovered a subatomic particle they thought was the
Higgs boson. After reviewing the data over the past 8 months, the
scientists
confirmed<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/14/higgs-boson-discovery-confirmed-cern-large-hadron-collider_n_2874975.html>their
 discovery.

British physicist Peter Higgs theorized the existence of this particle in
1964 to help explain matter and mass. According to Dick Teresi, co-author
of *The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the
Question?*<http://www.amazon.com/The-God-Particle-Universe-Question/dp/0618711686>,

six other scientists helped in its theorization, but Higgs is “the only
major particle that the discoverer, or the theorist, named after himself.”

Bosons are one of the two basic classes of subatomic particles that carry
force and occupy the same quantum state and space no matter how many of
them are present. French physicist Paul Dirac named bosons after the Indian
physicist Satyendranath Bose who worked with Albert Einstein in defining
what they are. In addition to the Higgs boson, other particles that exhibit
this behavior include photons and gravitons

Read more:
http://www.businessinsider.com/branding-science-to-save-us-all-2013-3#ixzz2Np0HeUMW