Hi stephen,......Science has always fascinated me... I really enjoyed High
school Physics... did well at it... but didn't pursue it further in college
....I also had at least one good "Physicist"  graduate level friend.... and
others in other science disciplines... I like to try to get them to explain
these "things" to me as "factually" as possible... stripping away as much
of the hard math and theory stuff  as possible.... works in with my
"nominalist" approach preference, too.... Conceptus / Res... Concept /
Reference.... Idea / Physical thing.... Motivation / Action (not Cause and
effect) for human affairs....
As for Mr. Higgs.... I don't know that much about him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Higgs
or his co-scientists who did the actual "theorizing".....but this gets back
to that other discussion we had about "entrepreneurs".....point being....
these guys (and gals) hardly did their research for the money in it.....and
all new developments stem from folks like them......
Nobel Prizes all around.... the least the rest of us can do.....